if you have pile of photos, images and videos somehow unordered like me ( maybe some order but not completely ) . Here is to steps to create an alternative order methodology:
Description of my Un-Ordered status:
- Photos & Images are saved in folders with related logical name like family,personal,vacation…
- Content of the folders are not correct ( like some photos are not belong there )
- Name of folders are not always describe the photos ( or a photo may belong to more than 1 category to remember in later ) like: vacation with family photos can belong to both family or vacation photos
- There are duplication of the photos
Now, what I have done is to use this all library based on thee dates of the photos. Yes, I have lost the logical naming of the folders, I will change them again in logical in time I guess, but now al the photos are ordered in time so I can change them next step easily.
- All the photos will be divided into time based folders like 2016/August or 2016/September.
- It can be arranged as 1 more layer as days but I haven’t preferred.
- Backup All the folders in case something goes bad.
- If you have automated a saving operatin of the library to another location for backup copy. Cut the synchronization till end of the reorganization
I have tested some Photo Library software ( including picasa ) but I have used DIM for its configuration options and easy to use.
You can download the DIM : Digital Image Mover from http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm . This software is personal effort from Alan and no support offered.
The software is pure java application that you can run in Linux or Windows. DIM is on version 5.xxx now but I have used both 4.xxxx and 5.xxx without any problem.
Usage of the DIM: The Steps has been done on Rasbian which is a debian clone
- Download the jar file:
- Install Java to your system.
- java.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=”true” option of the command below is for relatively recent versions of the Java.
- Run the below command to use DIM ( it will launch GUI itself )
java -Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort="true" -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar Dim-b153.jar
- Main Usage of the DIM : ( Future Edit Point for myself to edit the image for smaller view )
- Use the settings for configuration
- Fille the Source Path that Photos & Images are stored.
- Fill the Target directory for new library will be stored.
- Create Individual SubDirectories for only year and month not days ( this is my choice ofc, select whatever you want )
- In Options: In default mode DIM only copies the files to target directory with organized fashion. After your experiments, you can enable the delete files from source option.
DIM has a built in feature to copy only 1 file for duplicates. After the operation your target directory will be like below: